The system offers two options for managing replies. It is possible to use either option and the preference is specific to each user account.
Mode 1: Managed: Store Replies and Optionally Forward
This is the default setting. Replies are routed to our system so that they can be tracked and displayed in the Reports (you can access them via the Interaction tab in the Campaign report).
To view replies for a specific Campaign:
- Click Reports in the main navigation menu
- Click the Campaign's title to select it
- Click the Interaction tab
- Go to the Replies section
Replies can also be forwarded to additional email addresses.
When using this option, if recipients click "reply" to a Campaign they received, a long email address will display in the "To:" line ending in your sending domain. This long email address is what our system uses to tie the reply to your specific Campaign and track it in your Reports. If you do not want your recipients to see this long email address, you can use the second reply handling mode (Direct) described below.
Please also note that if a recipient manually changes what appears in the To line to a different email address, that reply will not be captured by our system.
Mode 2: Direct: Send Replies Directly Only
Replies are not routed through our system or displayed in Reports. Instead they are sent directly to an email address of your choosing.
When using this option, if recipients click "reply" to a Campaign they received, the email address you select will display in the "To:" line.
To modify reply settings for all Campaigns:
- Click Admin or Settings in the upper right corner of your account. Any changes made under Admin will affect all Users in your Client/Group. Any changes made under My Settings will only affect your account.
- Click the Email text link.
- Navigate to the "Replies" section.
- Click a setting name to change it:
- Email Reply Option - default method for reply handling when starting a new Campaign (only required when both Managed and Direct are set to On).
- Email replies to be routed back to the system - turn Managed mode on or off for all Campaigns.
- Forward managed replies to profile email - with Managed replies, automatically forward all replies to the profile address used to send the Campaign.
- Default forward to address for managed replies - with Managed replies, automatically forward all replies to a designated email address(es).
- Managed replies CC address - with Managed replies, automatically CC all replies to a designated email address (es).
- Email replies direct to an email address - turn Direct mode on or off for all Campaigns.
- Default email address for direct replies - Direct replies are automatically forwarded to the profile address used to send the Campaign, unless you enter a different email address here and it will be used instead.
To view or modify replies settings for a particular Campaign:
- Go to the Content step of an in progress Campaign.
- Click the "Show" text link next to Advanced.
- Select or de-select your desired reply options for that Campaign.
Note: When possible, "out of office" auto replies are filtered by the system and are not forwarded. However some out of office configurations (including Microsoft Exchange) do not route the automated emails properly. The emails are sent directly to the profile address rather than routing through our system. Therefore these replies will not display in Reports and cannot be forwarded.
The above only applies when a recipient replies to a Campaign and does not change the automatically generated email address that displays in the "To" field. If the recipient manually changes the "To" field (i.e. by selecting an individual from their email client, etc.), replies will be sent directly to the "To" address they had selected and will not be routed through our system or stored in Reports.
Please also note: When managing your replies, ensure you do not have your Out Of Office (OOO) or automated reply set on the email address you are forwarding to. In this case the automated replies will go back to the original recipient who replied. This also applies if the email address is incorrect - it will send the undelivered email back to the recipient sending the reply.
Replies for test Campaigns are not stored or forwarded. No reporting data is created or stored for test Campaigns.