This article explains the two options for how replies are handled by the system. You can have one or both of these options available in your account. It also explains replies to test campaigns.
To view replies for a specific campaign:
- Click Reports in the main navigation menu
- Click the campaign's title to select it
- Click the Interaction tab
- Go to the Replies section
Replies can also be forwarded to additional email address(es).
When using this option, if recipients click "reply" to a campaign they received, a long email address will display in the "To:" line ending in your sending domain. This long email address is what our system uses to tie the reply to your specific campaign and track it in your Reports. If you do not want your recipients to see this long email address, you can use the second reply handling mode (Direct) described below.
Please also note that if a recipient manually changes what appears in the To line to a different email address, that reply will not be captured by our system.
When using this option, if recipients click "reply" to a campaign they received, the email address you select will display in the "To:" line.
To modify replies settings for all campaigns:
- Click Admin or Settings in the upper right of your account. Any changes made under Admin will affect all users in your client/group. Any changes made under My Settings will only affect your account.
- Click the Email text link.
- Navigate to the "Replies" section.
- Click a setting name to change it:
- Email Reply Option - default method for reply handling when starting a new campaign (only required when both Managed and Direct are set to On)
- Email replies to be routed back to the system - turn Managed mode on or off for all campaigns
- Forward managed replies to profile email - with Managed replies, automatically forward all replies to the profile address used to send the campaign
- Default forward to address for managed replies - with Managed replies, automatically forward all replies to a designated email address(es)
- Managed replies CC address - with managed replies, automatically CC all replies to a designated email address (es)
- Email replies direct to an email address - turn Direct mode on or off for all campaigns
- Default email address for direct replies - Direct replies are automatically forwarded to the profile address used to send the campaign unless you enter a different email address here and it will be used instead
To view or modify replies settings for a particular campaign:
- Go to the Content step of an in progress campaign.
- Click the "Show" text link next to Advanced.
- Select or de-select your desired reply options for that campaign.
Note: when possible, "out of office" auto replies are filtered by the system and are not forwarded. However some out of office configurations (including Microsoft Exchange) do not route the automated emails properly. The emails are sent directly to the profile address rather than routing through our system. Therefore these replies will not display in Reports and cannot be forwarded.
The above only applies when a recipient replies to a campaign and does not change the automatically generated email address that displays in the "To" field. If the recipient manually changes the "To" field (i.e. by selecting an individual from their email client, etc.), replies will be sent directly to the "To" address they had selected and will not be routed through our system or stored in Reports.
Please note: When managing your replies, ensure you do not have your OOO (Out Of Office) or automated reply set on the email address you are forwarding to. The automated replies will go back to the original recipient who replied. This also applies if the email address is incorrect - it will send the undeliverable email back to the recipient sending the reply.
Replies for test campaigns are not stored or forwarded. No reporting data is created or stored for test campaigns.