- Dimensions – recommended maximum 650 pixels wide.
- Composition – balance images and text areas (design should not be one single image, nor should all text be built as images).
- Layout – design for the preview pane; include all important information “above the fold” and pay special attention to the upper left corner.
- Interactivity – do not include Flash or animated gifs (they will not work in most email programs); do include several hyperlinks to encourage recipients to click through.
- Additional Compatibility Considerations: Outlook 2007/2010/2013
- Editable text can only be on a solid color background (gradients and other images behind editable text are not compatible).
- Repeating images are not compatible (watermark backgrounds behind the Template will be removed; horizontal images will not stretch if content is entered forcing Template wide).
HTML Technical Recommendations
- Use nested tables for layouts, and set widths in each cell.
- Use inline CSS, only email-safe fonts, and declare font properties individually.
- Bolding text should be done using <strong> or <b> tags. If you put a style of font-weight bold on a span tag it will likely break other styles on the span tag as our Template builder converts it to a strong tag.
- If you need to apply a style to a certain bit of text, wrap it in a span tag with a style attribute.
- Use GIF or JPG images with fixed widths and alt text - but no spacer images.
- Always code with a doctype. The default one we use is <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">.
- Don't use CSS floats, absolute positioning, or z-index.
- Don't copy/paste from Word, results will be better if built within our Template builder.
Please note that our Support team are unable to make amendments to client created Templates. If you have created a Drag and Drop Template, any queries or amendments will need to be directed to our Delivery Services team where you will be quoted for any edits made.